Do you need a summer job? Looking for flexible employment in Hanover? If you love working with people, you might be a good fit at the Hanover Public Library!
- Summer Programme Assistants (2) – see below
- Customer Service Assistant
Customer Service Assistant, Contract Part-time
Hanover Public Library seeks someone with a passion for helping people to join our team, starting June 2018. This is a temporary part-time contract position (maternity leave cover).
This position is responsible for staffing the Library Circulation and Information desk. Duties include answering questions; helping people find what they need; checking materials out and back in; handling money; operating a cash register, copier and fax machine; communicating in person, by phone and email; filing; gathering statistics; and repairing and processing library materials. This will include providing basic computer support for the public using our computers or their own devices in the library. A full job description may be obtained by contacting Agnes Rivers-Moore at 519-364-1420 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This position requires someone with a welcoming and friendly personality, preferably with some library or transferable experience. Applicants must have excellent customer service skills; effective oral and written communication in English; great literacy and numeracy skills, and the ability to master automated systems. Applicants need patience with people, the ability to manage multiple tasks and interactions at once, an aptitude for detailed work, accurate data inputting skills, and discretion to hold in confidence information relating to patrons, volunteers, staff and library business. A police vulnerable sector check will be required.
Hours: Flexible. Varying shifts of 4 to 8 hours, 9 am to 8 pm, weekdays and weekends.
Wage: Hourly. Starting range $15.61 – $15.98
- Library or transferable retail/public service experience
- Customer Service experience in face to face reception / retail / library work
- Excellent literacy and numeracy
- Computer and keyboarding skills
- Familiarity with Windows, Office software, Internet and searching skills
- Satisfactory Criminal Records and Vulnerable Sector Check
- High School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
Essential Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Strong communication skills and excellent customer service skills
- Familiarity with public library services and procedures
- Respect for confidentiality
- Accuracy and at attention to detail
- Self-motivation and ability to exercise independent judgment
- A wide range of reading interests
- Ability to interact well with people of all ages and work collaboratively in a team
Please forward a complete resume and cover letter relating to the required skills, no later than 5:00 p.m. Monday April 30, 2018 to:
Agnes Rivers-Moore Fax: 519-364-1747
C.E.O./ Chief Librarian Email: email@example.com
Hanover Public Library
451 10th Avenue
Hanover, Ontario N4N 2P1
Print friendly version : Job Advert for Customer Service Assistant 2018
Summer Programme Assistant (funded by Young Canada Works)
Hanover Public Library is a busy community library serving a rural town of 7,500 residents. The library is open seven days a week, until 8 pm most weekdays. Working hours for the Programme Assistant will be varied and may include some evenings and weekends. We have grant funding to hire a young worker to expand library programmes and services, and improve engagement with our community
Duties and responsibilities:
- Assist with the annual Summer Reading Club for children and young teens.
- Teach computer technology skills to library users of all ages and abilities.
- Partner with other local groups in summer events including the annual Sights & Sounds Festival.
- Assist the Heritage Committee in adding to our heritage collection.
Summer workers will assist in preparing programme activities and organizing events, and will present regular activities for children and young teens. They will work directly with children, design and run programmes, help them to take part in activities, select books and track their reading.
They will provide help and computer training for people in our community who want to gain or improve digital literacy and technology skills, including using devices; learning Apple, Android and Windows; using the Internet and apps. They may also design and provide classes for clients of seniors’ care and community living facilities.
They will contribute to our cultural programme by helping with the library contribution to the annual Sights & Sounds Festival in partnership with local groups, and work with the Heritage Committee on local history projects.
Our preferred candidates:
- Must have some experience working with children and seniors.
- Must be patient and calm and able to communicate well and teach people of all ages.
- Must have excellent computer skills; familiar with Internet services, social media, and with a variety of electronic devices.
- Must possess good time management and organizational skills, and be willing to take on a variety of tasks.
- Some experience in organizing events, and graphic design talent is an asset.
- Work well independently or in a team.
- A clean police vulnerable sector check is required.
Candidate MUST be: (As required by Young Canada Works)
- Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada;
- legally entitled to work in Canada;
- between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with YCW;
- have been a full-time student (as defined by your educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW job;
- intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the summer;
- register online with Young-Canada-Works.
Duration – 11 weeks, mid June to the end of August
Hours – average 30 per week, must be willing to work some evening and weekend hours
Rate – $15.50/hour
This position’s duration may vary, subject to grant funding confirmation. Part time work may be available to disabled applicants.
Please apply BY 5 pm on Monday MAY 6 2018 to:
Attention: Emma Shaw
Hanover Public Library, 451 10th Ave, Hanover ON N4N 2P1
Tel: 519 364 1420 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: 519 364 1747 Web: www.hanoverlibrary.ca
Print friendly version : Job advertisement for Summer Programme Assistant 2018
The Hanover Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the library will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. Applicants selected for interview need to inform the library of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require to ensure your equal participation. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used for candidate selection. We thank each applicant for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.