A public library was first established in Hanover in 1895, when the Mechanic’s Institute Board of Directors applied to the Provincial Legislature to create a public library under the newly established Public Libraries Act, 1894. The early collection was housed in various places until the Town applied for a grant from The Carnegie Foundation to construct a permanent building, which was completed in 1912. The Library, Town Hall and Civic Theatre underwent extensive renovations in 1995 to become the Civic Centre we know today.
In accordance with The Public Libraries Act, the library is governed by a volunteer Library Board, and funded by the Town of Hanover with support from the Province of Ontario.
Your library, your destination to discover and uncover life’s possibilities.
Our Mission Statement
To be a welcoming upbeat community hub, enhancing the quality of life for all, empowering everyone to reach their potential through access to resources and activities for relaxation and lifelong learning.
Our 5 Year Strategic Plan
Library Board Members
- Kathi Maskell (Chair)
- Susan Sakal (Vice Chair)
- Brenda Booth
- Andrew Edgcumbe
- Steve Fitzsimmons (Council Appointee)
- Francis-Joseph Gross
- Edwin Haas
Library Board Meetings
Regular meetings of the Library Board take place on the 4th Thursday of every month, at 6:00 pm. Meetings are open to the public. Please let the CEO/Chief Librarian know if you wish to attend. Agendas and reports are available on request at the library the week of the meeting. If you wish to speak to the board, you must contact the CEO/Chief Librarian at least a week before the meeting date arrange for a delegation or presentation to the board.
COVID-19 response – to ensure physical distancing, Board meetings will be held electronically, by Teleconference (telephone conference call). Members of the public wishing to attend may use the phone number and participant code posted below. Use our contact page or email the CEO/Chief Librarian before the meeting date if you wish to be sent an electronic copy of the meeting agenda. Please call in a few minutes before the meeting is due to begin and introduce yourself.
2020 Meeting Dates
- January 23
- February 27-Meeting cancelled
- March 26-Meeting cancelled
- April 23 2020 at 6pm by Teleconference.
- May 28 by Teleconference.
- June 25-6pm by Teleconference.
- August 27 via Zoom. Details to be announced.
- September 24
- October 22
- November 26
Meet the Staff
- Agnes Rivers -Moore – CEO/Chief Librarian
- Norma – Assistant Librarian
- Lauren – Assistant Librarian
- Stephanie – Children & Youth Services Librarian
- Emma – Administrative Assistant and Customer Service Supervisor
- Peggy, Kay, Kathleen and Mandie – Customer Service Assistants
- David, Bayden and Shemejah – Library Pages