Assistant Librarian – position available
Position: Assistant Librarian – job share
Hanover Public Library serves a busy town of 7,700 in a rural area of Grey-Bruce, Ontario. The library occupies one level of the downtown Civic Centre, along with municipal offices, Community Hall and Theatre. The Assistant Librarian is responsible for providing the full scope of library services to the public, employing excellent customer service skills. The
Assistant Librarian is responsible for interlibrary loans, adult collection management & development, programming for adults and provides support for the public using computers and the Internet. Responsibilities include planning, development, organization and implementation of adult programmes and events, community outreach initiatives, marketing, and promotion. The Assistant Librarian works in a team assisting the Chief Librarian with planning, organization, management and administration, in assigned areas of responsibility.
This position is a job share with a senior staff member who will mentor and develop the successful candidate. Duties will include the full range of professional tasks, balanced with the other incumbent according to schedule, experience and talent.
- Post-secondary education such as a Masters in Library Science is an asset or Library and Information Technician Diploma
- Completion of a certified course in library cataloguing, such as SOLS Advanced Excel or within credits for academic qualification
- Current Membership of at least one Canadian professional library organization, or professional subscription.
- Four (4) years’ experience working in public library services
- Five (5) years’ experience at a management level
- Thorough knowledge of public library operation and management
- Some experience creating, marketing and managing events and programming for adults
- Familiar with automated Integrated Library Management systems
- Experience creating and managing MARC catalogue records in an automated system
Skills and Abilities
- Has thorough knowledge of public library operation and management as normally gained through a library degree or diploma
- Is familiar with the Public Libraries Act and other legislation affecting library services
- Is competent with Windows, Microsoft Office, Internet, social networks and email
- Should demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to deliver exceptional customer service
- Has experience creating and running events/programming for adults
- Has effective oral and written communication skills in English, with the ability to establish and maintain friendly and effective working relationships with customers, employees, volunteers, community groups and other agencies
- Has thorough knowledge of popular fiction and non-fiction authors, reading trends, and ability to achieve a balanced library collection to meet the needs of the community
- Wide range of reading interests and ability to assess and guide people’s reading development.
Monday to Friday and occasional Saturday/Sunday shifts, subject to change. Total hours 35 per week between two job share partners, anticipated 16-19 hours per week each. Prorated paid vacation and sick days apply to this job-share position.
Remuneration as per the current Town of Hanover Salary Grid, Group 8. ($24.48-$28.46 per hour)
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by email, mail, or in person by 5:00pm on
Tuesday, September 28, 2021.
To: Agnes Rivers-Moore
CEO / Chief Librarian
Hanover Public Library
451 10th Ave,
Hanover, ON, N4N 2P1
Tel: 519.364.1420 | Fax: 519.364.1747
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Web: hanoverlibrary.ca
The Hanover Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, we will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.