The Hanover Public Library (HPL) is currently recruiting an experienced, energetic, and motivated professional with excellent interpersonal skills to fill the full-time, permanent position of Library Chief Executive Officer (CEO)/Chief Librarian. We are located in southern Grey County, Hanover Public Library is a progressive, innovative community hub with a mission to provide exceptional customer service within the context of a warm and welcoming environment. HPL serves a population of 8,000 and provides programs and services consistent with the needs of multiple generations of library users.
Reporting to the Library Board, the Library CEO/ Chief Librarian is responsible for the operational and financial management of Hanover Public Library and for advancing the Library’s strategic direction in a manner that reflects the organization’s mission, vision, and values. The Library CEO/Chief Librarian serves as Secretary/Treasurer and advisor to the Library Board and as its primary representative to the community, community organizations, media, municipal administration, and other levels of government and professional organizations.
The successful candidate will:
- Ensure that the Library is operated in accordance with relevant legislation and best practices
- Develop policies and procedures to guide efficient and effective library operations
- Cultivate a good working relationship with the Library Board and support the Board in it’s governance role.
- Have demonstrated leadership skills with a team-oriented management style, ability to champion customer service excellence and delegate authority wisely.
- Provide vision and guidance to Library staff, Board members, and the community
- Develop, strengthen and foster relationships with the municipality (Council and staff), businesses, community organizations, media, other libraries, government, professional organizations and potential funders
- Contribute to effective decision-making regarding library services and resources
- Apply change management strategies to assure effective implementation of change and acceptance by all stakeholders
- Establish strategic financial management processes, using sound business and financial judgment
- Develop the library budget in conjunction with the Library Board ensuring alignment with the Library’s strategic plan; being prepared to advocate for adequate resources to meet the library’s goals.
- The preferred candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Master of Library and Information Science from an accredited school including demonstrated administrative and financial expertise as well as a strong working knowledge of relevant computer and telecommunications technologies.
- Have a minimum of 3 years of progressive management and supervisory experience.
- Proven skills in all aspects of supervision including team leadership, training, hiring, evaluating, coaching, and motivating staff.
- Demonstrated understanding of emerging trends, new technologies, and advancements in public libraries and customer-centered service.
- Be a strategic and innovative thinker with demonstrated capacity for planning, problem solving, results orientation, analytical skills and creativity.
- Be highly effective at facilitation, communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Proven track record in organizational leadership, strategic planning, service excellence, public relations, marketing and partnership development
Full Job description available below:
Hiring will be subject to the successful submission of a Criminal Record, Judicial Matters and Vulnerable Check, and verification of education and experience requirements. A detailed job description is available upon request. Please email Brenda Booth at firstname.lastname@example.org. The salary range is presently $85,955.00 to $99,990.80 (or $47.25/hr to $54.94/hr)
Applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume in confidence by 3:00 p.m. on January 12 2024 to: Brenda Booth at email@example.com
The Hanover Public Library is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Applicants must self-identify and make their accessibility needs known in advance. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. Information is collected solely for the purpose of job selection under the provisions of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.